This blog often has a global focus, but all cycling is local. Today is Bike to Work Day. I’m riding to work this morning, doing my best to avoid the danger spots covered in a front page article on the Seattle Times today, and thinking a lot about the commuter from my neighborhood who went under a car during yesterday’s commute. The Bike Fairy has her work cut out for her!
Meanwhile, a circle of Seattle bike bloggers has been getting together for monthly beers this spring and forming an informal little network, and many of them have great posts up today:
- Car Free Days posts about the Bike Fairy and biking to school.
- Totcycle is running a Kidical Mass (“fun, safe, and courteous”) kids/family ride from Ballard today (Friday) at 5:45. meet at the Bell.
- Seattle Likes Bikes has a wrap up of the unfortunately poorly attended Ride of Silence. Cascade Bicycle Club doesn’t consider this event part of Bike Month, but it should.
- Paul at Bike Intelligencer takes a look at the cyclists at F5 Networks, the main corporate sponsor of Bike to Work Day.
- Kent “Mountain Turtle” Peterson has an FAQ on his car-free life.
- Byron and the Bike Hugger crew are in Portland AND Seattle (leave it to them to raise the ante!).
- Biking Bis checked in at the Bellevue Commuter Station.
Ride safe, ride strong, and may the wind be at your back!
(Bikejuju’s main Bike to Work week post is here).